Energy Engineering - Modeling & Architecture Engineering Internship (Fall 2023)
What to Expect
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2023 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December) or into Winter/Spring 2024 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, in-person. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school on your ability to work 40 hours per week before applying. Again, please do not apply until you know you can work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time during the academic year.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success.
- Fremont, CA
- Palo Alto, CA
About the team
The Tesla Energy Products team is bringing battery and solar technology to the grid to facilitate a renewable energy ecosystem and redefine the way the world will use energy in the future. As part of the Modeling & Architecture team, Intern will help define Tesla’s strategy to meet those goals by leveraging your physics fundamentals, simulation tools, systems optimization thinking and common sense. Our team is small, committed, fast moving and we believe a diverse team of motivated individuals can accomplish almost anything. We are problem solvers, team players and game changers. If this sounds like you, Tesla just might be the place to make your mark!
Tesla Energy Grid Solutions team is looking for a highly motivated individual who is excited about solving real-life power system issues around renewables integration. As an intern in this position, you will have an opportunity to build RMS/EMT power systems model for Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) and perform system studies.
What You’ll Do
- This position is focused on power systems stability modeling and analysis.
- The intern is expected to demonstrate a solid theoretical background on EMT and dynamic modeling of power systems, renewable energy resources, and converter-interfaced devices.
- The intern should have very strong and hands-on experience using any positive sequence tools like (PSSE/DIgSILENT/PSLF) and EMT tools (preferably PSCAD) for dynamics/transient simulations.
- The intern will focus mostly on modeling solar PV and battery energy storage systems in any of these software utilizing Python interfaces, running simulations and analyzing the impact of these resources on stability of grids and microgrids.
What You’ll Bring
- Currently working towards a Masters or advanced degree in a relevant program such as Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics with a focus on Power and Energy Systems
- Practical experience with modeling renewables in any positive sequence or EMT tool
- Practical experience using Python
- Must be self-managed and committed to working in a fast-paced environment
- Prior practical experience in conducting utility transmission interconnection studies for renewable and energy storage projects is a plus
- Prior practical experience with protection coordination, cable ampacity, transformer energization, and grounding studied is a plus.
- Prior practical experience with ETAPand SKM software is a plus
- Prior practical experience with PSSE User Written Model is a plus