Staff Engineer, Renewable Engineering
The Staff Engineer will perform engineering activities for project development and assist with the technical design and evaluation of utility-scale battery storage projects in Invenergy’s target markets throughout North America.
Battery Storage Engineering Group Responsibilities
- Interface with battery, inverter, and padmount transformer Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) to obtain technical information and stay apprised of technology advancements and trends.
- Prepare conceptual project layouts utilizing QGIS, CAD, or Visio software. Optimize layouts in order to maximize project value.
- Conduct site visits to support site evaluation, suitability, and due diligence efforts.
- Assist the Development team with federal, state, county, and local permitting efforts.
- Support the progress of team initiatives including safety, material/process template improvement, etc.
- Manage the layout and design of the battery array and coordinate with the selected vendors to ensure design compatibility.
- Work with the Electrical Engineering team to support electrical system design and compliance efforts.
- Interface with the Project Management and Operations teams leading up to and through project commercial operations. Ensure timely and complete transfer of technical responsibilities.
- Participate in landowner meetings, community outreach events, and monthly construction meetings.
- Work with the Structured Finance team to provide responses to lender and independent engineer due diligence questions throughout the project financing process.
Request for Proposal (RFP) Support
- Work with battery manufactures and integrators to quote various systems to meet the RFP requirements.
- Prepare pricing models for various storage energy system use cases.
- Collaborate with Strategy team to determine project sizing and operational requirements based on key market drivers, customer needs, and RFP requirements
- Coordinate with the Project Management team to determine construction and commercial costs.
- Support the Development and Origination teams with the preparation of sales proposals to customers.
Required Experience and Skills:
- BS in Electrical, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering or related technical discipline including but not limited to Physics, Material Science, and Environmental Science.
- 1-3 years in the renewable energy industry with some background in battery technology.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to multi-task and manage deliverables for multiple projects at a time.
- Excellent verbal, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated interest in renewable energy.
- Desire to work in a dynamic environment alongside people with multiple interests and backgrounds.
- Some travel required (up to 20%)
- MS in Electrical, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering
- Familiarity with LFP chemistry, battery cell, module, rack, and enclosure designs
- Knowledge of the procurement, integration, and construction processes for renewable facilities and battery storage projects in particular.
- Experience with contract negotiations and electrical engineering design
- Familiarity with DC/AC inverters or DC/DC converter operation
- Familiarity with communication protocols such as Modbus, TCP/IP, CANbus, or DNP3
- Experience with modeling energy project economics and familiarity with concepts such as NPV, IRR and LCOE.