Fire Protection Engineer - Kiewit Industrial Engineering
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service engineering consulting and design firm serving a broad range of the industrial markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve the industrial, transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Our operations-focused engineering provides our clients with safe and efficient facilities, and it integrates our 130 years of construction experience to finish projects on time and to make sure that Nobody Gets Hurt.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Engineering team, which includes process, mechanical, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Mineral Processing, Renewable Fuels, Pulp and Paper, Steel & Aluminum, Industrial Buildings, and Industrial Energy, Water and Utilities.
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office.
• Provide fire protection design and support for complex industrial facilities.
• Perform fire hazard analysis for the site to determine hazards and appropriate active and passive fire protection schemes in conjunction with the requirements of the applicable codes and standards as well as any client requirements.
• Generate calculations to size water supply, fire pumps, and underground pipe sizing.
• Review vendor fire suppression and fire alarm system plans and calculations.
• Review fire barrier and penetration seal requirements for specific hazards.
• Perform life safety reviews for buildings and industrial equipment platforms.
• Develop specifications and manage contracts for fire protection contractors to furnish and install fire protection systems for the various projects.
• Collaborate with various team members from various disciplines to ensure complete coordination throughout each project.
• Travel is required (approximately 10% of the time) to meet with clients and/or jobsite personnel.
• Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills to ensure concepts and requirements are fully conveyed to the various team members and clients.
• Responsible and self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects.
• Familiarity with the International Building and Fire Codes as well as competent knowledge of applicable NFPA standards.
• Working knowledge of fire suppression and fire detection systems and how they interface with various building and other disciplines.
• Familiarity with standard Microsoft Office products such as Excel, Word, Power Point, etc
- Bachelor’s degree in Fire Protection Engineering or Engineering Technology from an accredited school or minimum one (1) year of fire protection engineering related experience.
- EIT in fire protection engineering, or intent to obtain, is preferred.
- GPA above 3.0 preferred
- Working in a team environment
- Communicating effectively with co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.