Civil engineering intern - 2023
From the moment you join us, you’ll be immersed in what it’s like to be an engineer at Mott MacDonald, within our New Orleans, LA office. You’ll work with a team of exceptional engineers and scientists who have a passion for consultant engineering. From your first week, you’ll gain exposure to project work and start honing the skills you’ve been studying, to begin your career in the profession.
Interns have exposure to some of Mott MacDonald’s most prestigious projects. This is a unique opportunity to help deliver innovative transportation solutions for both public and private sector clients. Our team is on the cutting edge of this field, combining transportation planning, land use planning, engineering, and digital analytics to develop innovative solutions that have a strong focus on social outcomes and help our clients make decisions that will impact the coming decades. The issues we tackle are multimodal in nature, and the ideal candidate will have a strong interest in sustainable and healthy transportation modes.
An internship should be more than just a job. We want you to utilize the skills you learn throughout your time here and use them throughout the rest of your life. Our company’s culture provides you with the opportunity to be creative, promotes inclusion and diversity, and allows you to take ownership of your work.
As an intern your responsibilities may include:
- An introduction to conceptual, preliminary, and detailed design
- An introduction to site inspection, investigation, and monitoring
- An introduction to design calculation, computation using formulas, and preparation of calculations
- Review, assistance, and modification of reports, specifications, and studies
- Introductory opportunities to use crucial software for civil engineering design related project
- Get involved with our Early Career Professionals network and participate in lunch and learn opportunities
We want you to have the desire to make a difference in the world, sharing the values we believe in. Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, and transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities, and employment opportunities. In 2020, Mott MacDonald became the first company in our sector to be certified Carbon Neutral, globally.
To be considered for this internship position, in our New Orleans, LA office, you will currently be working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in civil engineering. You should be able to demonstrate your interest in your chosen sector through relevant experiences, such as studying relevant modules or previous work experience. You’ll also have:
- Obtaining a degree in planning, geography, civil engineering, or related field(s)
- An interest in relevant technologies, such as AutoCAD Civil 3D, stormwater modeling tools, and Office 365 applications.
- A methodical approach to problem-solving
- Prior relevant internships, co-ops, or practical work experience preferred
- An ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently
- Adept verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail and ability to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and write accurate reports
Here at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.
Hybrid working policy
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team, and personal commitments. We offer a hybrid working policy that embraces your well-being, flexibility, and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management, and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities, and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence