SALARY: $16.12 per hour
DATES: May/June - August 2023 (Start and end dates flexible)
HOURS: 25 hours a week for a total of 12 weeks
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
The External Relations department at the Wilson Center seeks an energetic and self-motivated student or recent graduate interested and skilled in event photography. Consistently ranked as one of the top think tanks in the world, the Wilson Center provides opportunities for hands-on experience working on a wide range of issues that impact today’s public policy debates.
The intern would work with the Wilson Center’s External Relations department – a dynamic team managing external communications for Wilson Center events, publications, media relations, and digital communications.
The intern performs a range of photography duties including:
- Photographing live events in an auditorium and or conference room setting to include speakers at podium, panel discussions, award ceremonies, etc
- Photographing posed shots of groups and individuals for portrait/headshots
- Occasional landscape or architectural photography of the Wilson Center and historic sites around DC.
- Sometime travelling to external locations for off-site event photography (embassies, Congressional offices, etc)
- Post-production work to include photo editing, caption writing, uploading into a DAM system.
Applicants should possess the following skills and experience:
- Experience with DSLR cameras
- Proficient understanding of operating Canon cameras
- Skilled in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop
- Proficient understanding of shooting in manual mode
- Experience with and comfortable photographing people and live events
- Possess strong research, writing, and/or administrative skills
- Be detail-oriented
- Be able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be enrolled in a degree program, recently graduated (within the last year), and/or have been accepted to enter an advanced degree program within the next year.
The External Relations team usually selects interns for each academic term (i.e., for Fall, Spring, and Summer internships of approximately three to four months); however, appointments can be made throughout the year for periods of varying length. No internship will exceed one year in duration. As a general rule, the External Relations office is looking for individuals who are willing to devote 25 hours per week.
These internships are designed to provide the individuals selected with the opportunity to gain practical experience in an environment that combines academic study and public policy. Internships also provide opportunities to attend events within the Wilson Center and around Washington.
This is a paid internship. The Wilson Center is an equal opportunity employer and follows equal opportunity employment guidelines in the selection of its interns.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and links to an online portfolio of your work via e-mail to email@example.com with "[Season] [Year] Internship" in the subject line (e.g. "Summer 2023 Internship").
The deadline is rolling. Applications are accepted until the positions are filled. Due to the high volume of resumes, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.