PAID INTERNSHIP - Collections and Archives Intern [STAX MUSEUM ]
STAX MUSEUM OF AMERICAN SOUL MUSIC
Located at the original site of Stax Records in the South Memphis neighborhood known as Soulsville USA, the nonprofit Stax Museum of American Soul Music is the world’s only museum dedicated to preserving and promoting the legacy of Stax Records, the Memphis Sound, and other American soul music labels. In addition to highlighting Stax Records’ former executives, writers, producers, engineers, and session players, artists celebrated in the museum include Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Isaac Hayes, the Staple Singers, Rufus and Carla Thomas, Booker T. & the M.G.’s, Albert King, William Bell, Eddie Floyd, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, Ike & Tina Turner, Sam Cooke, James Brown, and dozens of others.
The project that the intern will complete this summer during their internship is cataloging 1,500 sweet soul and group soul vinyl 4S's from the Bob Abrahamian Collection held at the Stax Museum.
- Specific tasks include following the already established procedures of cataloging, including rehousing, and organizing vinyl.
- Cross checking information for accuracy, entering metadata into the museum's collections database, Past Perfect Web, and labeling each item with Object ID's.
- The intern will also have the opportunity to present their project as a Lunch and Learn program.
- Guest deejay on local, independent radio station WYXR.
Qualifications: The Intern will need the following specific skills:
- Prior experience or use and knowledge of libraries, archives, or museums.
- Interested in Art History, Music, or Museum Studies.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Close attention to detail and precision.
- Comfortable working with computers and databases.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment.
INTERNS WILL WORK ONSITE 28 HOURS PER WEEK AND ATTEND A MANDATORY OFFSITE PROGRAM DAY ONE DAY PER WEEK WITH THEIR COHORT.
INTERNS MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR THE DURATION OF THE PROGRAM.
- Total Weeks: 9 weeks
- Work Hours per Week: 28
- Total Hours: 252
- Workdays: 4 days per week onsite
- On the 5th day of each week, interns will attend an offsite program day with their cohort.
- These hours are separate from the internship hours.